What is the NEXT economy?
On side salads and social impact
Are we doing enough?
“It’s not millions that need to move. It’s not billions that need to move. It is trillions of dollars that need to move [in impact investing].” – Erika Karp, Cornerstone Capital
- “Sacrifice Nothing, except indifference” article by Cornerstone Capital
- Excerpt: “More than 2,200 research studies conducted since the 1970s have considered the connection between environmental, social and governance (ESG) criteria and investment performance. At first, these studies examined the most basic questions, such as whether a public equity portfolio that excluded certain companies for ethical reasons would underperform unconstrained portfolios. The results of these studies have consistently confirmed that social screens do not compromise investment performance.”
- Access Impact Framework by Cornerstone Capital
- Description: “Cornerstone Capital Group’s Access Impact Framework™ illustrates how our clients’ portfolios align in support of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. The framework links the Sustainable Development Goals to investment activities through a focus on access — access to the natural, human and economic resources that will create a more regenerative and inclusive world.”
Mapping the impact investing landscape: there’s an app for that, right?
- Description: “Our goals are to build stronger relationships across the impact investing landscape, identify synergies and opportunities for collaboration, and support promising impact ventures through their growth stages. In addition to helping funders build relationships across the ecosystem, this collaborative effort will allow entrepreneurs to be more efficient in their search for funding, which means they can spend more time on scaling their companies and their impact. Not yet part of the impact investor landscape?”
- CASE Smart Impact Toolkit
- Description: “CASE Smart Impact Capital leads you through the three fundamental steps all entrepreneurs must follow to raise the right capital: Strategize to assess your investment readiness and define your investment ask; Target the kind of capital and investors suited to your unique venture, and Close by cultivating investor relationships and agreeing on deal terms that matter. We cover these steps through 9 short modules of easy to use, professional tools and instructions.”
- Description: “Mission-critical business tools. Powerful performance benchmarks. Trusted fundraising recommendations. Gust supports you at every point along your entrepreneurial journey so when it’s time to raise money, you have the best shot at investment.”
Standing in our power
More can be done, sure, but we should never forget that we are not almighty actors, but are ourselves part of vast systems—that precede and engulf us by eons. The more we appreciate and understand the system in which we work, the better chance we might have to live within it and plant seeds to change it moving forward. And the more courageous voices that are able to guide by being both conscience and truthteller, the better we can steer systems toward regeneration and sustainability.