Listen to the Interview with Chong Kee Tan
Meet Chong Kee
On this episode of The Innov8social Podcast, we are exploring the unique topic of regional currencies with Dr. Chong Kee Tan, the co-founder of Bay Bucks–which dubs itself as “money designed for the new economy”.
Chong Kee received his BA (Hons) in Computer Science from Cambridge University and his PhD in Chinese Literature from Stanford University, and has taught at Stanford and National University of Singapore. He co-founded Bay Bucks in 2012 with the mission of “Creating a functioning regional currency that helps local businesses thrive while promoting collaboration and building community wealth.”
Find Out More
More About Chong Kee
- Chong Kee’s bio, as listed on Bay Bucks website
- Chong Kee’’s video explaining Bay Bucks and regional currency
More About Bay Bucks
- Website: http://www.baybucks.com/
- Value proposition: “Bay Bucks is a functioning regional currency that helps local businesses thrive while promoting collaboration and building community wealth. It also serves as a third-party record keeper that records all transactions done on the platform and sends monthly statements to members on their sales, purchases, and balances.”
- Article in Live Work Oakland– “Can alternative local currency, Bay Bucks, reinvent money in Oakland? (Analysis)”
- Online seminar recording, “Re-thinking our Monetary System: Bay Bucks and the New Economy – Teleseminar” [Reslience.org]
- Article in The Outsider – “Reimagining money and work in Oakland”
More About Example Mentioned: Swiss Weir
- Website: http://www.wir.ch/
- Description: The WIR Bank, formerly the Swiss Economic Circle, or WIR, is an independent complementary currency system in Switzerland that serves businesses in hospitality, construction, manufacturing, retail and professional services. [Wikipedia]
- Video explaining Wir Bank Switzerland
- Video, WIR Bank Report
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!