The 12 states that have passed benefit corporation legislation are:
- Maryland passed SB690/HB1009 in April 2010.
- Vermont passed S.263 in May 2010.
- Virginia passed HB2358 in March 2011.
- New Jersey passed S2170 in March 2011.
- Hawaii passed SB298 in July 2011.
- California passed AB361 in October 2011.
- New York passed A4692-a and S79-a in December 2011.
- Louisiana passed HB1178 in May 2012.
- South Carolina passed HB4766 in June 2012.
- Massachusetts passed H4352 in July 2012.
- Illinois passed SB2897 in August 2012.
- Pennsylvania passed HB1616 in October 2012.