https://www.innov8social.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/social-innovation.png 340 340 neetal https://www.innov8social.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/innov8social_logo_gray1.1.png neetal2011-06-13 20:18:002015-08-07 07:51:22B Corporation and Benefit Corporation: 3 Key Differences
If you are exploring signs of responsible business, you will likely come across the terms “B corporation” and “benefit corporation”…and while they may sound like synonymous buzzwords in social innovation, they are actually distinct concepts.
Here are 3 key differences to help keep them straight:
1. B Corporation is a voluntary certification. B corporation certification recognizes companies that are purpose-driven and which create benefit for the community, the environment, and employees–as well as for shareholders. B corporation status is conferred on companies that apply with a passing score on the B Rating System and that agree to take steps to legally expand the fiduciary duty beneficiaries beyond shareholders. The certification is granted by an advisory committee from B Lab–a non-profit organization dedication to B Corporation certification.
2. Benefit Corporation is a legal corporate structure. You’ve likely heard of corporate structures such as a C corp or an S corp, similarly, benefit corporation is a new class of corporation that serves society and the environment, as well as shareholders. As of June 2011, four states have passed benefit corporation legislation (Maryland, Vermont, New Jersey, Virgina).
3. Becoming a Certified B Corporation is one way to meet statutory requirements for Benefit Corporation status. This is true for states that have passed benefit corporation legislation.
You might also like
- SisterTalk Podcast series with Sejal Parekh and Neetal ...March 27, 2020 - 12:56 pm
- Social Venture Circle Welcomes the NEXT Economy, with Perspectives...November 18, 2019 - 3:28 pm
- Campus-wide Impactathon® in partnership with Soka University...November 5, 2019 - 11:25 am
- Impactathon UCLA Anderson 2019 in Partnership with The SAM...April 28, 2019 - 5:12 pm
- You're missing Social Good Impact! :) socialgoodimpact....February 12, 2019 - 12:59 pm by Beth Palm
- […] https://www.innov8social.com/2016/07/difference-csr-social-enterprise...November 1, 2018 - 8:07 pm by Social Enterprise...What Does It Really Mean? | Social Enterprise Marketing
- […] as a social enterprise, and the opportunities...July 10, 2018 - 8:57 am by Dr. Christopher Robert on The Impact Podcast | SurveyCTO
- […] wears many hats as the author of 51 Questions...June 14, 2018 - 7:00 am by Moving in the Direction of Impact | An Interview with Neetal Parekh - Idealist Careers
AB 361 accelerator programs audio B corporation benefit corporation legislation book book excerpt buzzwords community-building crowdfunding education event financing global government GSBI impact investing incubator infographic informed consumerism interview Jared Huffman legal structure non-profit photos podcast practicing social enterprise law reflections SOCAP11 socent FAQ social capital social change film social enterprise social entrepreneur social innovation social innovation IQ social media socinn book project SSIR startup tools triple bottom line video VLAB women
> Know more about us ...